Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Holy Chicken Pot Pie Batman!

It's been nice getting settled in my new kitchen, well...new to me!  I have had such a hankering for getting back to cooking it's not even funny, so last night when I left work I had a huge craving for chicken pot pie.  I didn't want to buy one of those frozen Marie Callender's thingys, although they are delish!  No, I wanted to create.  I have recently realized that cooking is my art form.  I use recipes a lot of the time but sometimes I just want to throw something together and be proud of the result.  So I thought to myself, "If I were a homemade chicken pot pie what would I be made of...?"  Thoughts of buttery crescent rolls, creamy gravy, fresh veggies, and lumps of chicken came to mind....so here is what I came up with on a whim at my little local Trader Joe's....

1 LARGE can of chicken in broth
1/2 bag of frozen veggie medley with carrots, peas, corn etc.
1-2 tubes of crescent roll dough
Butter, milk, and flour for a cream sauce

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Spray the bottom of a ceramic, glass, pie tin with Pam.  Even though the crescent roll dough doesn't specify to grease the pan I think it's important to the pie doesn't stick.

Spread the crescent roll dough and make it one solid sheet.  Line the bottom of
your dish of choice with the dough leaving extra for the top of the pie.

Put canned chicken in pan without draining the broth.  Add garlic powder to taste and let heat up to medium heat.

Defrost the veggies in a collander with warm water.

Make a rue from the milk butter and flour...(Here is a great place to learn how although I don't use the oil in mine...).  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Layer chicken, veggies, chicken, veggies, chicken into the baking dish on top of the dough.  Pour cream sauce over top.  Add extra dough to create a top for the pie.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes or until top is flaky and golden!  Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment