Saturday, March 5, 2011

How To Be Alone

I know a lovely lady named Ellen and she recently shared this video on her blog.  Ben is out of town until Monday and he goes on trips very often.  In the last 5 years or so I have forgotten how to take joy in being alone.  Perhaps it is because when I lived in Chicago I was surrounded by people but felt more alone than ever and I don't like revisiting that feeling.  Lately I have decided not to revisit it, but redefine it instead. 

This video very much illustrates my new mindset and even gave me some more ideas that I am excited and motivated to try out while I am alone.  I especially love the dancing one, although I'm not sure I am brave enough for that one just yet.  If it wasn't pouring outside I would take that hike but instead I am going to visit the library stacks (not uncommon for me) and then curl up with some Sleepytime tea and a book.  Maybe even the one my friend Annie Downs wrote...(From Head to Foot).  From here on out, every time I am worried or anxious about being alone, I am going to re-watch this video and feel strong.  In the past few days while Ben has been away I've reconnected with old friends (I get to hang out with a old high school buddy tonight...my 6th grade boyfriend...ooh lala...and his beautiful new girl), I have seen some incredible music, I finished one book, caught up on my trashy TV, cleaned my room (still working on this one), and plan for much more. 

I always prefer having Ben by my side, but it is important for both of us that my inner joy is satisfied and he can enjoy his time away without having to worry about me.  Although I am sad to miss beautiful Katie Bruno's senior vocal recital at The U, and an opportunity to see Ben's family, so far, this trip has been lovely. 

 
Poem written and Performed by Tanya Davis who I know want to get to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment